Why Register Your Trademark?
It's true, you probably don't need to register your trademark with the United States Trademark Office to establish trademark rights. In fact, you may have trademark rights just by using your trademark as an indicator of the source of your products or services. So then why register? The answer is simple: by registering with the United States Trademark Office, you get extra trademark rights that make filing a trademark application something that you should consider now. Here are some of the main benefits of registering your trademark with the United States Trademark Office:
1. Put the Public On NoticePut the public on constructive notice of your claim of ownership over your trademark.
2. Presumptions of Ownership and Exclusive Right
Get a legal presumption of ownership of your trademark, and a legal presumption of nationwide exclusive right to use the trademark for your goods and/or services.
3. Register InternationallyUse your United States trademark registration as the basis for foreign trademark applications, and in some cases claim priority to the filing date of your United States trademark application.
Greater Scope of Legal Remedies.
4. Bring Suit in Federal Court
Only a federally registered trademark gives you the ability to sue others in federal court in the United States for trademark matters.
5. Block Infringing ImportsRegister your United States trademark with the United States Customs and Border Protection to block infringing foreign goods from entering the United States.
6. Recover Increased Damages & Legal Fees
Your United States trademark registration gives you the right to seek treble damages and your attorney's fees in certain circumstances surrounding infringement of your trademark.
Ward Off Potential Infringers.
7. Get Listed in the United States Trademark DatabaseYour United States trademark registration will be listed in the publicly-available United States federal trademark database.
8. Use the ® Symbol
Your United States trademark registration will give you the right to use the "®" federal registration symbol.